Re: why is my wireless totally borked in f7?

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Claude Jones wrote:

> On Wednesday August 1 2007 1:59:58 pm Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > before i do that, i'm just trying to verify what i *have* on
> > this system.  on a gateway laptop running f7, i can see in
> > /var/log/dmesgl the lines:
> >
> > bmc43xx_mac80211:  Broadcom 4318 WLAN found.
> > followed by a few more lines about that device i can reproduce
> > if necessary.  so that looks like a good sign.
>
> Here's a page devoted specifically to the the bcm43xx driver for
> Fedora, which I used to set up my HP laptop's Broadcom Wireless
> NIC - maybe it will help you
>
> http://fedoramobile.org/fc-wireless/bcm43xx-yum-extras/

awesome, i'll follow that as soon as the system is loaded.  but let me
make a couple suggestions about that page -- the same sort of thing i
*always* whine about when it comes to tutorials and HOWTOs:

1) why the need to do a general "yum update"?  i realize that there
may be *some* packages that need updating, but it doesn't impart any
information if you don't tell the reader *precisely* what packages are
necessary for updating.  is it really just the kernel that needs
updating or perhaps other stuff?  it's always nice to know that, even
if you advise the reader to just play it safe and update it all.

2) actually, maybe that's my only whine.  for now.  :-)

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA

http://fsdev.net/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page