Re: questions on how to install Fedora 7 from downloaded iso

Darlene Wallach wrote:
stan wrote:
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 01:20:50 -0700
Darlene Wallach <freepalestin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
title Fedora 7 install
          root (hd0,0)
          kernel /vmlinuz-f7-install ro root=/dev/sda3
          initrd /initrd-f7-install.img

What I'm not sure of is if the install will allow me to
access the external hard drive for the installation.

Which external hard drive?  I see only the hda drive mentioned.

I have a external firewire harddrive onto which I
downloaded the dvd iso. I copied the following two files
to the /boot on my internal drive.
/tmp/mountpoint/isolinux/initrd.img
/tmp/mountpoint/isolinux/vmlinuz
Grub can only read /boot during it's run.
1. The ~equivalent of a boot floppy these days is:
boot.iso {to write to a cd} and diskboot.img {to use directly from grub}.
So, mount the dvd some where, and copy diskboot.img to your /boot/ directory.

2. install syslinux {to get memdisk}, and copy memdisk to /boot/

3. Add an additional entry to grub:
label fc7 installer
  kernel memdisk
  initrd diskboot.img

boot and select this option from grub.
anaconda {the installer} will note that you dont seem to have the installation source, and ask where it is. IMHO the easiest way is to have the .iso file in the root of the hard drive that it's on. You need to remember the partition number as well {there is no viewer - but you can keep trying if you get it wrong}.

My question is when I start the installation, will I
have access to the external firewire harddrive for
the install.
You'll know for sure once you try it. I have done similar from usb external drives, and I know modern kernels have support for 1394 interface.

I haven't done it this way in a while, so let us know how you go.

DaveT.