Re: Changing number of partitions.

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 23:30 +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> By removing products I no longer use I have got one free partition of
> 32 GB. I
> plan to change this partition into three new partitions each approx.
> 10 BG. The
> total number of partitions will be less than 16 so that will not cause
> any
> problem. However, I realise that some partitions will change device
> address and
> I wonder how this will impact the two linuxes I am running. Is it at
> all doable?
> And at how many places will I have to change hardcoded device
> addresses?
I assume the partition you freed is in the middle. It also seems to me
some extended partitions will be involved.

If you pulled it off it seems to me that in only 2 places would changes
need to be made, In grub.conf and fstab.

However, I am extremely suspicious of how the changing of the device
addresses would work with extended partitions in your situation.
It would seem to me it would be safer to simulate three partitions in
your existing partition with directory names in the existing partition.
The only thing that would be a problem would be the 10G sizes.

There is no choice before us. Either we must Succeed in providing the
rational coordination of impulses and guts, or for centuries
civilization will sink into a mere welter of minor excitements. We must
provide a Great Age or see the collapse of the upward striving of the
human race. -- Alfred North Whitehead