Re: Label Crap!

Tim wrote:
On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 05:14 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
        The original label in fstab was 123456 for the root directory
and it was the swap directorys that had the worst long labels. This is
important because the label on the swap partition is wrong!

I've seen dual boot systems change things slightly, so each partition is
unique.  e.g. Your first system had /boot/, /home/, etc., and the next
installation was /boot1/, /home1/, etc.  But 123456 seems a bit extreme.

Have you done multiple installs/upgrades on top of each other, or have a
multiboot system?

        So those long nonsense labels for the swap partitions are what
caused my swap to not work. This is a bug for anaconda.

Hmm, doesn't matter what they actually are, so long as they're used
consistently, and according to whatever rules apply to the names.  But
it's certainly more user-friendly to have a label you've got some chance
at being able to easily type in.

        I opt for a manual partition setup. I dislike the LWN idea as
being too complex and uncontroled. It must be this that messes up
anaconda.

I, too, dislike the LVM idea.  How did you manually partition, though?

I used fdisk to carve up the drives, then provided labels when I did a
mkfs.ext3 on the main partitions, provided labels with the mkswap
command, and use e2label on anything that need's tweaking, later on.
(Divide them up and call them names, mildly amusing...)

I did it from the install disc, I CTRL+ALT+Fsomething to get to a
console before the install routine got to the partitioning the disc
section, then went back to the routine after my custom drive prepping.
Using the install routine's manual partitioning to *pick* the partitions
it'll install to, but not reformatting them.

I did it in that manner because the install routine doesn't give me an
option to type what *I* wanted to use as the volume labels.  That's
important for multiboot or multidrive systems.

Hi Tim. We think about the same. I print out the fdisk printout of both disks. This I use to know what Anaconda is talking about :-)

On both FC6 and F7 when Anaconda gets to the step where it wants to delete everything on both hard drives, I click Manual partition and there I have learned to set up the load where I want it and on a / file system. This has worked out but the LABEL problem is bad.I have to do it myself. My old method was to replace labels with actual partition name from fdisk. But you and others have shown me the advantage of labels so I will do that now.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User