Re: Mystery of chroot

on 7/22/2007 10:18 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> David Boles wrote:
>> on 7/22/2007 9:40 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> Sorry, I have to ask.  What is "true Unix OS"?  Does Solaris qualify?
>>
>> I am not sure Ed. What I had in my mind was the OS that runs on those
>> really large cabinets in those really cold rooms. I have worked on those.
>> The rooms and the A\C not the computers.
>
> Well, if you're not sure of what your definition is of "a true Unix OS" then
> a challenge or question as to if a PC will run them kind of loses its meaning.
>
> I venture to say that most folks would classify Solaris as a "true Unix OS"
> and yes, they mostly ran on Sparc CPU server systems in rooms with false
> floors and big A/C's.  And yes, in the early days, the workstation varieties
> used Sparc CPU's and not your typical Intel or AMD processor.
>
> But, today Solaris runs just fine on Intel.  So, I would submit that as an
> answer to your question.

Like I said - I was thinking of main frame stuff on big cabinets in really
cold rooms.

I have never tried Solaris or Sparc. Are they considered what I described
as 'a true Unix'? I was not even aware that they would run in x86 type
equipment.

I am *not* trying to be a smart *** here. I would like to know.
--

  David