Re: Linux WiFi Manualthe F

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 14:24 -0700, David Boles wrote:
> on 7/20/2007 2:12 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 16:30 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> >> Aaron Konstam wrote:
> >> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/latd810/en/index.htm
> >>
> >> That took all of a few seconds to locate. :)
> > I have that manual but try to find the following in that manual::
> > 1. What wifi card it has?
> > 2. What sound card it has?
> > 3. Any information about other compoonennts?
> > 4. What fn keys do?
> > 5. etc, etc, and so forth
> >> It took a few more seconds to google for lwifi card it has
> >
> >> inux chm viewers, install
> >> gnochm (one of several available in the Fedora repos), and open the
> >> user guide.
> >>
> >> You're doomed if you expect tech support to be very useful.  It's far
> >> easier to just search the site.
>
> This sounds like a really good argument to not buy a Dell computer 'of the
> shelf'.  ;-)
No, Dell  makes very good computers  but you need to know what you are
doing. You can get a computer  customized with a sticker made in Korea.
Well actually only the parts are made in Korea but they are assembled
here. You can get them to put any device card you want, and configure
other things. Therefore, there is no way they
can tell you what cards you have in your machine in a manual.
But if you just go with the default you can get screwed or surprised.
The first Dell I had was ordered with 1 gig drive, and sure enough in
Windows that is what showed. When I installed Linux I found it was a 2G
drive. They just substituted the larger drive because that is what they
had available.

And to Tod the original post said I could find out which Wifi card I had
from the manual. My  response was really meant to say that you can't all
the time.
--
Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>