Re: Linux WiFi Manual

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Nelson Strother wrote:

  In Fedora 7, some of the planned

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/FeatureRockSolidWireless

robust wireless behavior has been implemented.  Completing this effort
is not currently shown as being in the Fedora 8 plan.

What exactly do you mean by "robust wireless behaviour"?

As I have said many times, if NetworkManager works, it is fine;
but if it does not work you are up the swanny.

What is needed in my view is a simple program, or just a recipe,
which tells you exactly where WiFi is failing, if it is failing.

The difference between Linux and Windows is that in Linux
you can tell the user exactly what is going on.
Linux is not, or should not be, a black box.

The trouble with a supposed universal system like the one outlined
in the link above
is that in the end you are forced to say,
"You must have one of the following devices".

What if someone has a laptop with built-in WiFi
using a card not on the given list?
Do you just say, "Bad luck, mate"?

Tim, that is what the Manual is about. If you can't make it work, do things step by step and see what is bad. Then fix it. As for NetworkManager it is a work IN progress. Right now it works just fine for me. I recommend using it.

Karl