Re: 2.6.22 kernel and WiFi

On Tue, Jul 17, 2007 at 03:11:44PM -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
> > John W. Linville wrote:

> >> The 4306 part should be well supported on all platforms with either
> >> the new (default in F-7) or old bcm43xx drivers.  Be sure to extract
> >> the firmware.  I suggest running bcm43xx-fwcutter on the wl.o file
> >> from here:
> >>
> >>     http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.80.53.0.tar.bz2
> >>
> >> Be sure to either reboot or 'modprobe -r bcm43xx-mac80211 ; modprobe
> >> bcm43xx-mac80211' after extracting the firmware.  I would be very
> >> surprised if your 4306 did not work afterwards.
> >>
> >> John
> >>
> > Hi John, are you sure this will all run on a 64 bit kernel and computer?
> >
> > Karl
> >

> I've had the same thought, I initially was told it would NOT run 64-bit.
>  But I'm gonna give it a shot and see how it flies.

Are you talking about the firmware?  It runs on the bcm43xx hardware,
and bears no relationship to the architecture of the host CPU.

If you are/were an ndiswrapper user (please avoid it), then I suspect
you might run into 32- vs 64-bit issues.  But that is because you
would actually be running the windows driver on the host CPU --
it has nothing to do with the Broadcom hardware itself.

Hth!

John
--
John W. Linville