Re: Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9

on 7/6/2007 4:01 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

>snip<

> But I can get the codecs for free, jut not their copyrighted versions.
> The question is, can the holder of the patent on an algorithm who has
> already been paid for a license to use on the device I have prevent me
> from using a different version of that same algorithm?

>snip<

There *are* no "not their copyrighted versions". There are stolen copies
of copyrighted versions. That is what you are gleefully calling the 'free
version'.
Ok Les. Yes you can 'get them for free'. Sure you can. You can accept
stolen goods anytime you chose. You can use them in a, at best, dark grey
situation. And no they will probably not come after you like the RIAA
people have gone after so many of the music thieves on services like
Napster or the movie companies have gone after the people stealing movies
with Bittorrent. They, the people, called it 'sharing' and the courts have
called it stealing.

Have you every really thought about just *where* the third party sites are
located? Not in the US where they could get busted for sure.

But I don't really care what you chose to do. I watch my movies from
'Pay-For-View' cable, subscription movie services like HBO, broadcast
channels, from a DVD player and rented DVDs, or the TIVO attached to the
TV hanging on the family room wall. Not on a tiny computer monitor. My
music? It is played on a stereo located in the same room. Not on a
computer with tiny speakers. Some from radio and some from CDs that I have
bought.

I don't need to steal to entertain myself or to 'beat the system'.

Nuf Sed?

Again. Have a nice day. And good night.

--

  David