Re: First F7 install

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 22:43:03 Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Tuesday 26 June 2007 16:48, John Bowden wrote:

> > > from the CLI
> > >
> > > alsamixer
> >
> > Done that all sliders are at the 100% mark. Still silence.
>
> Ok. All the sliders in alsamixer are at 100%. Have you checked the
> switches? For example, for my audigy2 soundblaster card, there is a switch
> marked "Audigy A" . With that muted I have no sound. Any sliders that have
> a box beneath them displaying "MM" are muted. Suspect ones are "Master",
> "PCM", etc. Of course, what you see on alsamixer varies from soundcard to
> soundcard, and can vary also depending on the distro, and the version of
> the distro. The M key toggles the state of the switches.
>
> For example I'm booted into Kubuntu, and the audigy2 soundblaster card, and
> the "PCM" control just has a slider, but other distros I use with this card
> show a switch on the "PCM" control. I'm not going to boot them all up just
> to confirm this, but it may be worth checking again that nothing important
> is muted.
>
> You could post the output of :
> cat /proc/asound/cards
> cat /proc/asound/version
> and
> /sbin/lsmod | grep snd
>
> Did the sound work ok with earlier FC versions on that machine?
>
> Over to you for the moment.
>
> Nigel.
Is any one running F7 on a mother board with a Nvidia NF6100-405 Chip set?
I still haven't got the sound working. I'm going to have to give up on F7 as
with every update things seem to be getting worse and I don't have the time
to persevere with it. In the last week Kmail has started to crash, any mail I
send is disappearing, yum is freezing halfway through updates and Kyum is
giving error messages, I'm not sure weather to use FC6 or give CenOS a try,
as I would still like to use a RH based distribution. How much longer will
FC6 be supported for?