Re: fonts in firefox

Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 09:44 -0700, Tom Spec wrote:
>> I am trying to start using Fedora on the desktop, but one thing
>> that really bothers me is that the fonts often look pretty bad in
>> firefox (compared to how they look in Windows.)  I notice this in
>> particular at Yahoo Mail.  Are there any quick fixes for this?
>> Maybe I am missing some packages or something?
>
> I notice the opposite - Firefox, generally, looking better on my
> Linux boxes.  You might want to define what you mean by bad a bit
> better.  Small fonts, ugly fonts, low resolution blocky looking
> fonts...

Agreed.  Without knowing what exactly makes the fonts look pretty bad
Tom, it's hard to know what may help.  A picture is truly worth 1000
words with stuff like this.  Screenshots comparing what looks bad with
what looks good are great ways to help others pinpoint what may be
wrong or how to change it more to your liking.

> Websites often specify certain fonts to be used, and your system may
> not have them.  It may substitute fonts that are okay, it may pick
> something that's not good.  It depends on what's available, and how
> the font lists are set up (you can customise the replacement table).

One thing I've found that has bugged me is the use of bitmap fonts.
Some pages (the docs.python.org is an example[1]) looked horrid to me
until I disabled bitmap fonts[2].

> You could also have a general rendering issue.  Are you using a
> lower resolution screen mode on Linux?  Do fonts used outside of
> Firefox look better?

Also, are you using a CRT or LCD monitor?  The sub pixel rendering was
disabled in freetype 2.3.4 that ships with F7 (due to more damn patent
concerns).  Even if that is re-enabled, the rendering in freetype
2.3.4 looks odd to me compared with freetype 2.2.1.  I installed the
FC6 freetype package on F7 and it looks much better (which is of
course just a personal preference :).

[1] Particularly the fixed width parts
[2] by making a symbolic link in /etc/fonts/conf.d to
    /etc/fonts/conf.avail/70-no-bitmaps.conf

IDIOT, n - A member of a large and powerful tribe whose influence in
human affairs has always been dominant and controlling.
    -- Ambrose Bierce