Re: Grub and old hard drives

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Karl Larsen wrote:

    For several years I have let the anaconda loader put the grub boot
message in the spot for such things on /dev/hda/. Fine, a couple of
years later I bought a much bigger hard drive and this Linux is on that.
But Grub is still using /dev/hda/.

    These are both Western Digital hard drives and I have had good luck
with them. But the first to fail will be the oldest I expect. When that
happens Grub will fail. This is a real hard thing to fix :-(

    So I have a plan. First read "Info Grub" and see how to put a Grub
boot in the boot section of /dev/hdb/. This I think is pretty simple. I
can do this today. But how to cause the file /boot/grub/grub.conf to use
this new boot point may be difficult.

    Assuming this is possible I will let the list know.

I think you need to distinguish between the grub loader proper,
and the grub support files in /boot .

You can put either on either (or both) disks.
But if the loader is in the sdb/hdb MBR
you'll have to tell the BIOS to look there.
By default it will look in the sda/hda MBR.

I presently have /boot on sdb, and copies of the grub loader
on sda and sdb, in case something nasty happens to the rather old sda.

Well I have /boot on several partitions but the one used is on /dev/hdb5 now. The grub loader is on /dev/hda. I would like to put on /dev/hdb but it's not clear how to do that. Can you recall? Was it using grub-install or some other way? I will see if there is help for grub install.

Karl