Re: Address book - LDAP or MySQL?

Per Qvindesland wrote:

> I just installed a ldap address book last week, I will no go into the
> detail of how pain fule the configuration was, information in a simple
> human way is difficult to find but I would definetly recommend LDAP,
> since it is more (easy) to integrate into a email reader, by putting
> easy in brackets I do mean in brackets, evolution is not to bad but it
> does things in a really stupid way, I.E it don't remember the Manager
> password so the user that needs access to writing into the ldap needs to
> know it, do I suspect that you could get around it by creating a ldap
> user with write access to your tables, I have never tried mysql for only
> a address book but I would not recommend it since mysql is generally
> after my opinion slower and the email readers don't really support it,
> if you need some pointer let me know I am going to write my little how
> to at some stage now on how to set it up.

Thanks for your reply.
I think I will follow your advice, and go with LDAP.

I've been reading chapter 20 of "Linux Home Server HOWTO",
"Shared Address Book (LDAP)", by Miles Brennan <brennan.id.au>,
at <http://www.brennan.id.au/>.
This seems to contain fairly explicit instructions
for setting up LDAP and adding an address book.

I'll contact you if I do meet any problems, thanks.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366