Re: which grub to edit?

Thufir wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 07:33:14 -0700, Thufir wrote:
>
>> pardon if I posted this before.  I was working on grub last night. Win2k
>> and Fedora 7 are on sda (hda) while FC3 is on sdb (hdb).  The MBR on sda
>> is being used, I believe.
>>
>> Which grub do I edit to get all OS's booting?  I tried a few variations,
>> mucking with the one in /boot/grub/... from FC3, but wasn't able to hit
>> on the correct combination.
>
> Got it, mostly :)
>
> Down the road, I'd like /boot/grub/... from Fedora 7 to be the grub file
> use, but, eh, no big deal at the moment :)

You may want to consider running 2 copies of Grub. Have the MBR on
hda|sda use the grub.conf for F7, and have Grub from FC3 install to
the MBR on hdb|sdb. Then put a chainloader entry for FC3 in the F7
grub menu that loads Grub from the MBR on hdb|sdb. (This would be
like the entry used for Windows.) I have not done this with Grub,
but I used to do it with LILO and it should work the same.

The advantage of this is that kernel updates will automatically
update grub.conf without you having to manually copy entries from
one version to the other. If you want to, you can move the drive
with FC3 to a new machine with only a minor change in grub.conf. The
disadvantage is that FC3 will boot a bit slower because you will be
running Grub twice.

Mikkel