Re: selinux eradicator?

Mike McCarty wrote:

What they show is that there are provable DISadvantages. No amount
of weighing advantages on one side vs. disadvantages on the other
is going to amount to proof of whether any individual person should
or should not use it.

No but you argument was that the advantages are merely conjecture and that is very clearly false.

 > Partially, my point is that any time one modifies any package, no
matter for what reason, there is the opportunity to introduce
defects.

This is a generic argument and you can apply it to any piece of code and indeed against new development. These overtly generic arguments bring nothing useful to the discussion.

You expressed faith, which is purely personal. How else am I to comment?
Keep your own comments technical, and you won't evoke such kinds of

No my comments were purely technical and had technical references and had nothing to do with faith. We aren't talking about religion here.

I'm not lobbying for anyone to remove it. I'm not trying to convince
anyone that it's a bad thing. I'm lobbying for people to have a CHOICE
whether to install it, without also having to exercise the choice to
use a different distro. I thinks that's only reasonable.

You do have a choice not to use SELinux if it is not wanted by you which is reasonable. Not being able to install every small libraries is not really worth the effort. Like I said there are several core libraries which cannot be easily removed from Fedora.

Last I heard you were running Fedora Core 2 which has only strict policy disabled by default and you were not planning to move to any new version of Fedora. So any new development and choice is a theoretical benefit for anyone who has no practical experience with SELinux but if you consider the advantages of saving a few kilobytes worth the effort, talk to the SELinux developers, understand the best way to split up the packages (hint: this is pretty difficult to do and there has been past discussions on this that you can refer to first) and send patches. That would much more reasonable that theoretical discussions.

Rahul