Re: Mail log problem -

Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
Tony Nelson wrote:
At 2:14 PM -0400 6/28/07, Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
I had been using  Mail -s "msg-logs" bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx <
/var/spool/mail/bobg
until about three weeks ago when it quit working.

I am beginning to think that my ISP has done something to cause these
messages not to go through since it appeared to me that they were making changes that created a lot of disruption in the mail server operation at
that time.

I have been trying to send other files such as:

Mail -s "msg-logs" bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx < /home/bobg/ootext/FAP.txt

with no success, nothing comes back? Normally these are filtered into a
Thunderbird directory "msg-logs"  The filter set up looks ok. I haven't
changed anything there and if it didn't work I would hope the mail would
just show up in Inbox.

Is there a way I could see the outgoing message to be sure it is
actually being sent?

Can someone suggest a logical way to troubleshoot this problem?  I've
been putting this problem off but it's an annoyance that needs fixing!

Send some small test mail that way.

    []$ mail -s 'test' bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx
    test 1
    <Ctl-D>CC:
    []$

Nothing I try gets through ...

Try tar'ing the dir up as a .tgz and see if that gets through.
I tried sending an existing ".tgz" file, no different.

Inspect the mail settings the ISP provides; turn off their spamassasin if
you can.

I am not aware of any way to do that. In fact they don't mention processing mail for spam although they may do so. I don't see anything listed under events in Firestarter so it looks like it's not blocked there.

I just haven't been able to find anything but I would like to see the message that is supposed to be sent. Don't know how to get that?

Bob Goodwin

Hi Bob, the head of the IP dept at NMSU used mail because he got several hundred emails daily back then. I just played around with mail and read all my root mail which I normally use pine to deal with.

But then it occurs to me that you have at least a couple of users on your Linux. You can check if mail is working properly between these users on your own computer. If not then you know where to start. I will try to get my mail to work as well. This is old time stuff.

Karl