Re: Mail log problem -

Tony Nelson wrote:
At 2:14 PM -0400 6/28/07, Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
I had been using  Mail -s "msg-logs" bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx <
/var/spool/mail/bobg
until about three weeks ago when it quit working.

I am beginning to think that my ISP has done something to cause these
messages not to go through since it appeared to me that they were making
changes that created a lot of disruption in the mail server operation at
that time.

I have been trying to send other files such as:

Mail -s "msg-logs" bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx < /home/bobg/ootext/FAP.txt

with no success, nothing comes back?  Normally these are filtered into a
Thunderbird directory "msg-logs"  The filter set up looks ok. I haven't
changed anything there and if it didn't work I would hope the mail would
just show up in Inbox.

Is there a way I could see the outgoing message to be sure it is
actually being sent?

Can someone suggest a logical way to troubleshoot this problem?  I've
been putting this problem off but it's an annoyance that needs fixing!

Send some small test mail that way.

    []$ mail -s 'test' bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx
    test 1
    <Ctl-D>CC:
    []$

Nothing I try gets through ...

Try tar'ing the dir up as a .tgz and see if that gets through.
I tried sending an existing ".tgz" file, no different.

Inspect the mail settings the ISP provides; turn off their spamassasin if
you can.

I am not aware of any way to do that. In fact they don't mention processing mail for spam although they may do so. I don't see anything listed under events in Firestarter so it looks like it's not blocked there.

I just haven't been able to find anything but I would like to see the message that is supposed to be sent. Don't know how to get that?

Bob Goodwin