Re: Headless Fedora?

The problem w/ that is if you pick a package that requires x yum will
install x anyway.  All my servers I setup w/out x. It doesn't do
anything for a server besides take up resources. Even if you are in
init 3 it is still taking up space on the hd and undesirable progs are
on the system.

I deselect a lot of packages that I don't need - namely any package
that is for the desktop - other people start w/ the minimal install
then they yum in what they want.

Once you get it fedora will automatically set up inittab for run level
3 - then you know you don't have x or any progs that use x.

bazooka

On 6/28/07, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Steven Ringwald wrote:

> Montana Quiring wrote:
>
> > I would like to setup a headless Fedora box (i.e. No X).
> > Is there an install parameter or respin I can use to accomplish this,
> > or should I not bother?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your reply.
>
> When I installed a headless system, I chose the "customize now"
> option for package selection, and then made sure to deselect all the
> packages I could, making sure that yum got installed, and then used
> yum/rpm to remove any straggling X packages/libraries that got
> installed. If you have a system installed already, with X running,
> just change /etc/inittab to start at runlevel 3 instead of 5. I can
> send you more details on the latter, if that is your case.

how different is that from just deselecting X and letting the
dependency testing do the rest?

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA