Re: FC6 boot issue - please help

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 09:18 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Selinux is a work in progress. It works so well most IT people I know
> turn it off. I have it off on my computer. Now there are 65 trained
> hackers at NMSU a mile away. They get tired of Windows and like to
> attack Linux. If it gets bad I just go to the college and we find the
> guy and ask him to stop.

Ah, there's nothing like the personal visit or phone call to some script
kiddie who thought that (a) nobody could figure out who they were, and
(b) couldn't be bothered doing something about them.  One of the local
computer shop owners did that.  He's a very huge man, and a bit of a
thug.

I can't say that I've had too much trouble with SELinux.  There's been
the occasional program that complained, but the next update fixed that
up, and the update was fairly quick in being made.  People do log bug
reports on them, and authors do fix them.

I've had a tiny bit of trouble with SELinux and some servers (NFS and
Apache), but it wasn't too hard to work out how to do it within the
SELinux scheme of doing things.  In some cases the default SELinux rule
was to disallow it, and you had to flip the option over (e.g. serving
from your homespace).  In some other cases the answer was not to try
serving something from a place that's harder to protect, and use a
location set asside for such things.

If I were to grizzle about anything, it'd be hard drives and video
cards.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.