Re: Label's and things

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 06:23 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>     When I use "fdisk" to Print the drive hda and hdb and hdc... I want
> my label to be what it tells me.
>
> ...[snip]...
>
>     What can the LABEL software do to find the moved hard drive that I
> can't? I really do not know how it can do that. Also now days all the
> new drives are via USB.

Answering them in one go.  It's the computer, not you.  When you label
partitions in a certain way, you don't have to go hunting around to find
them.  You don't have to play with fdisk, you don't have to scratch your
head to figure out what to put in fdisk.

Here's how one of my drive (called max) layouts is set up:

Current device   Volume label   Mount point
location

/dev/sda1        max/boot       /boot
/dev/sda2        max/home       /home
/dev/sda3        max/var        /var
/dev/sda5        max/usr        /usr
/dev/sda6        max/tmp        /tmp
/dev/sda7        max-swap       swap
/dev/sda8        max/           /

Now, depending on what's plugged in where, this drive may be /dev/sda it
may not.  If I'd used device-based mounting points, and it was connected
so it's no longer /dev/sda, I'd have to change fstab entries.  But if I
used labels, the computer sorts that out for me.  My fstab files have
no /dev type of entries.

If I want to manually mount my home partition somewhere, I don't have to
figure out where it is, I can just refer to it as max/home and mount it
where I like.

e.g. mount -L max/home /home

Likewise for any other partitions.

If I rip the max drive out to pull files from it on another Linux
installation, it's easy.

Firstly, all my drive partitions have unique labels (so there'll be no
mount point clashes, the other drive will have fred/home, fred/root,
etc, it's differently named).  Try and put in two drives with a
partition labelled "/home" and you're in for grief.  And the installer
malarkey of avoiding duplicates by calling things /boot1, /boot2, /,
and /1, is far from ideal.

Secondly, I don't have to care where it is.  I can "mount -L
max/home /mnt" and pull files off, or fix things, or whatever.

Let the computer do the grunt work of finding where your partitions are,
automatically.  It's almost a given that at some point users might have
to connect two drives to one box to resolve an issue.  It's less mental
gymnastics if the system works in a clearly coherent and predictable
manner.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.