Re: Where Did It Go? A Re-Post

Gene Poole wrote:
> I've completed what I thought was a good install of Fedora 7.  But, I've
> found out that my ATAPI based internal Zip 250 drive has not been detected
> and/or configured.  My setup is (under Fedora Core 6):
> /dev/hda - Western Digital 80GB hard drive
> /dev/hdb - IOmega ATAPI Zip 250 drive
> /dev/hdc - Maxtor 300 GB hard drive
> /dev/hdd - Toshiba DL DVD burner
>
> After the install of Fedora 7, the setup shows up as:
> /dev/sda - Same as /dev/hda above
> /dev/sdb - Same as /dev/hdc above
> /dev/sdc0 - Same as /dev/hdd above.
>
> I verified that the Zip drive is working (it's there and readable when I
> boot a Fedora Core 6 Rescue CD). That's when I noticed that there had been
> a FAT16 disk inserted into the drive.

Messages!  What do you see in /var/log/messages (or /var/log/dmesg)
concerning the drive when you boot!  I would look for messages around
the area where Linux finds your 80GB disk drive.  Does it say *anything*
about your ZIP drive?  (A comparison vs the FC6 boot would be helpful
here as well, then we'd kinow what we were looking for!)

I am assuming that since it used to be device /dev/hdb, that it is
physically connected to the same IDE cable as your WB disk drive, but as
the SLAVE device on IDE0, right?

One place to poke around on your running F-7 system would be in
/proc/scsi and see if it sees anything about your drive in there.  It
should be OK to cat various files in there to see what your system knows
about its SCSI devices.

> I went to the IOmega site and found the following instructions:
>
> Question: How do I install Zip ATAPI driver for Linux Kernel 2.2.14 or
> higher?
> Answer:  Step One - logged in as root (not su) enter the following
> commands:
>                insmod ide-scsi
>                insmod fat
>                insmod vfat
>
>               Step Two - add a mount point for the drive:
>                mkdir /media/zip250.0
>
>               Step Three - mount your drive
>                mount -t fat /dev/sdb4 /media/zip250.0
>
>               Step Four - Add the following to /etc/fstab
>                /dev/sdb4 /media/zip250.0 fat noauto,user 0 0
>

> What needs to be changed to get this to work under Fedora 7 (I'm already
> using /dev/sdb - see above)?

I'm not sure.  It depends on what the Fedora devs did concerning ATAPI
support.  ide-scsi was a hack used in the past to essentially treat
certain IDE device as SCSI devices.  But, now *all* IDE devices are
treated as SCSI devices.  At least they are supposed to be!

I have SATA drives in my FC-6 laptop, and they are listed when I cat
/proc/scsi/scsi

I would think that if Linux is "seeing" your Zip Drive, it would be
listed there as well.  If not, you might have to load some kind of
driver for it.  I don't think its IDE-scsi, but I don't know fo sure.

> Should the drivehave been 'seen' initially during the install?  Was it my
> fault because I did a custom partitioning scheme using LVM?  Do I need to
> past)?

No, getting a single device recognized should *not* require a complete
re-install!  This is not u$oft!

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxx