Re: mount: could not find any free loop device

On 6/27/07, Luciano Rocha <strange@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 12:54:39PM +0200, Andras Simon wrote:
>  On 6/27/07, Bob Marcan <bob.marcan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Tom Horsley wrote:

> >                         umount -d /mnt

> > 32256
> > >
> > > That looks like a pretty clear bug in umount to me. I'd suggest
> > > turning in a bugzilla on it. (I wonder if it only happens with
> > > the offset arg - you'd think people would have noticed a general
> > > leak of loop devices before now considering how few of them
> > > are available by default).
> > >

> > man umount
>
>  Right, so it's mount -d. But then there's a bug in FC5, because there
>  umount (without -d) does free the loop device :-)

And it should, when the mount command specified the option loop. From
the manual:

THE LOOP DEVICE
   The umount command will free the loop device (if any)  associated
   with the mount, in case it finds the option 'loop=...' in /etc/mtab,
   or when the -d option was given.  Any pending loop devices can be
   freed  using 'losetup -d', see losetup(8).

My umount works correctly, with or without offset.

You're right! I shouldn't have stopped reading man umount at the first
mention of loop. OTOH, it seems like it's a mount and not an umount
bug, because the relevant entry in /etc/mtab

/dev/loop0 /mnt fuseblk rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096 0 0

doesn't have the 'loop=...' option. So umount is in its rights not to
free the loop device.

The time is ripe for a visit to bugzilla.

Thanks,
Andras