Re: DVI output, ATI or nVidia

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 14:03:16 -0700
Lonni J Friedman <netllama@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> If you're fixing the code yourself, then you're not getting support.
> For the vast majority of people, they are not going to fix the code
> themselves when something is broken, they need someone, somewhere to
> help.

If you have the source code, then someone can fix it.   Unlike closed source
stuff, where there is a single source of "fixes", i.e. the original vendor,
with open source code anyone can fix it.  No worries about last year's model of
card X being dropped due to an arbitrary corporate decision or other reasons
like that.

The "someone" doesn't have to be you and it doesn't have to be me.  But I would
rather depend on a whole community of coders for my fixes than one corporation
who may decide that there isn't enough money in it.

With Intel graphics, I can install my Linux operating system and have it work
right out of the box.  I recommend that everyone stay far far away from ATI and
Nvidia, personally.