Re: problems upgrading from FC6 to F7

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
Tim wrote:
On Sun, 2007-06-24 at 13:55 -0400, Marc wrote:
No I haven't used any labels.  I haven't done anything; I am just
trying to do an upgrade.  My FC6 may have labels, I don't know.
It does, by default.  So unless you went in and modified things, you've
got them.  They're, generally, a good thing, but you get problems if you
try to add another OS (whether by another drive, or more partitions on
one drive) if the labels are not unique.

Looking at /etc/fstab will tell you whether or not you have labels
and/or are using them to mount your partitions.  vol_id is a useful tool
to let you see if *any* partition has a label at all.  Including your
swap partitions.  I found it seems to have moved between my FC5 machine
(where it is in /sbin/vol_id) and my FC6 machin (where I found it in
/lib/udev/vol_id).

I'm getting my FC5 system ready for its impending F-7 upgrade, and I
read the F-7 release notes first looking for "gotchas".  This was the
biggest one I saw that would affect me.  So far, I've rebooted once
successfully with data partition labels, and I've just labeled my swap
partitions and successfully re-enabled them with "swapon -a", so I
should be all set here now.  My /etc/fstab now uses labels for all my
local mounts.

After upgrading from FC6, I tripped on this one trying to have an external USB drive mounted automatically at boot. It seems to come up with a different drive number every time I boot. Meanwhile, since the "upgrade" I can't log into SWAT to manage my Samba shares, and F7 flatly refuses to print to a printer attached to a neighboring WinXP box. This is an improvement? (OK, these may be related, but I have neither the time nor the skills to do this kind of diagnostic work.)
<RANT>
Much as I hate the thought of further rewarding Mr. Gates for granting me the right to run buggy software on increasingly expensive hardware, the one thing I can say about Windows is that it (mostly) "Just works".
</RANT>