Re: Volume Control use

on 6/23/2007 7:12 AM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 18:20 -0700, David Boles wrote:
>> on 6/22/2007 5:54 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

>>> Or something.  So Karl and I have different hardware and similar
>>> problems, but another machine I have at home with  FC6 and a SB Live!
>>> shows a normal volume control.  I'm going to install F7 on that this
>>> weekend, so we'll see.  And the latest incarnation of the volume control
>>> on my laptop actually did let me set the mic level enough to be able to
>>> Skype.
>>>
>>> It's just kind of unhelpful to suggest (as you seemed to) that just
>>> because you don't have the problem, it doesn't exist.  There are more
>>> combinations of hardware and software and versions in heaven and earth
>>> than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
>> I never said that just because I did not have this problem that it does
>> not exist. This, fedora-usrs, is a list were people come with problems. So
>
> I believe the term you used was PEBKAC.

It is not polite to speak about others behind their back. But I stand by
what I said *to* him. IMHO pebkac fits. He writes like a very frustrated
Linux Newbie. And BTW we were all Newbies at one time.

He has been his own worst enemy with some of this. It si *never* a good
idea to try to solve a problem before you actually know and understand
just what the problem is. And the 'shotgun method' Is usually what is
tried by many

>> what would you expect here. People writing and saying - Great job - no
>> problems here?
>
> People do, occasionally.  I have, myself.  But you're right, generally
> people start new threads because they are seeking confirmation of or
> help with a problem.

Good for you and I have also. But five or ten complements out of how many
users is not a large number. The Fedora people have to live with something
that is completely against human nature. A small number of complaints /
problems means success.

>> Here is a page with some numbers for you to look at in a free moment.
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Statistics
>>
>> If you look at them it will see that the number is much greater that the
>> two of you.
>>
>> This is what the development branch, Rawhide, does. Changes, enhancements,
>> new features, new versions do not always, usually don't work actually,
>> work right at first. The test releases that Fedora produces are to try and
>> ring out the final problems. Fresh installs of a system can do that. That
>> is if enough people try. Does it work? Surprisingly well. But there is
>> always someone, somewhere, with some device or piece of hardware that
>> seems to fail. Not everything  works out-of-the-box for all. But I do
>> think that the people that work on Fedora do a very good job at it.
>>
>> It would help a lot if users would actually read the Release Notes, the
>> FAQ's and the known problems with solutions information *before* they just
>> install. Honestly and truly. Think about that.
>
> Sure.  In F7's case, nothing there about gstreamer or volume controls.

And you wonder why there is nothing there? Really? Out of, lets pick a
really small number I am sure the number is greater, 100,000 Fedora 7
users there are two with this reported problem.

When you installed Fedora 7 did you send, opt-in, the Smolt data? If you
did not how would you expect Fedora to know what to work to improve support.

>> No one ever, that I can recall, said that they would not help.
>>
>> BTW - You should tell Karl that he needs to fix is Bugzilla report. It is
>> aimed at the wrong package. The maintainer ot the 'wrong package' will
>> tell him eventually but it would be brought to the attention of the
>> correct person more quickly.
>
> I did, and he has.

The Bugzilla report is very vague. There will be requests for more,
detailed information.
--

  David