Re: Volume Control use

On Fri, 2007-06-22 at 12:28 -0700, David Boles wrote:
> on 6/22/2007 6:09 AM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> >> Karl - Please read this and listen. I am not writing this to be mean or
> >> insulting in any way.
> >>
> >> I have had FC-3, FC-4, FC-5, FC6, and FC-7 all installed one after the
> >> other. At the same time I have always had rawhide (the development branch
> >> of Fedora) installed too.  And my mixers/volume controls have all worked
> >> just fine.
> >>
> >> So I really think that your problems are either your hardware or Pebkac.
> >> Really. And if I had to bet I would bet on Pebkac.
> >
> > No, in this case (at least), Karl is really onto something.  After some
> > update, my F7 GNOME volume control show only one tab, "Playback", and
> > Mic shows up there instead of on the "Capture" tab where it used to.
> > And I can't set the +20db boost for the mic or select which mic is live,
> > either.
> >
> > Running alsamixer from the command line shows all three display options
> > ("tbas") "Playback", "Capture", and "All", but all the mic controls
> > appear on the playback tab--the "Capture" tab shows only a "Capture"
> > device.  The Line device is labeled a Capture device, but its level only
> > shows in the Playback tab.
> >
> > Consequently, I don't seem to be able to get the Skype test call to play
> > back my test message at all.  I had it working in FC6 with some
> > settings, but I can't duplicate them in the GNOME volume control and
> > they don't seem to "take" in alsamixer.
> >
> > (FWIW, my ALSA mixer is for an Intel 82801DB-ICH4 and my OSS mixer is
> > for an Analog Devices AD1981B.
> >
> > I had none of these issues with FC6.
> >
> > Karl, have you filed the damned bug yet?
>
> What you guys are talking about has absolutely nothing to do with the
> package named Gnome-Volume-Control.
>
> >From the file description:

> Description :
> The GNOME Volume Manager monitors volume-related events and responds with
> user-specified policy. The GNOME Volume Manager can automount hot-plugged
> drives, automount inserted removable media, autorun programs,automatically
> play audio CDs and video DVDs, and automatically import photos from a
> digital camera. The GNOME Volume Manager does this entirely in user-space
> and without polling.
>
> Honest to $diety kids. GNOME Volume Manager does not have a darn thing to
> do with any of this.

I know that.  It's still a bug, and your claim that Karl is
hallucinating is still incorrect.  And gnome-volume-manager is obviously
not gnome-volume-control (though Karl still seems confused on that
point).  There is no package called gnome-volume-control, but there is a
program called gnome-volume-control and it's in the package gnome-media.
And nothing in my message or the message I replied to made any reference
whatsoever to gnome-volume-manager.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences