Re: OT: Apt-get vs YUM?

>>> Could someone please state the relative advantages and
>>> disadvantages of the apt-get and yum installation managers?

Just to answer my opinion on the above mentioned question -- the
difference between yum and apt-get is mostly historical. Yum used
to be pretty bad and slow, whereas apt-get wasn't able to work
with multilib. Currently yum (especially in FC7) is much faster,
so there is no reason to use less supported (in Fedora-world)
less supported solution (I am not sure about the current status
of multilib support in the current apt-rpm/apt-get).

Unfortunately, the real difference between
Debian/Ubuntu/other-dpkg-based distros still remains in the level
of programs above level of apt-get/yum -- there is still not port
of aptitude, which used to be my prefered package manager of
choice. Yumex and kyum (for Gnome or KDE respectively) are pretty
good, but still I would prefer well working stable port of
aptitude. Oh well.

Just my personal opinion of course, and wide open to any
well-reasoned corrections on this.

Matěj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/blog/, Jabber: ceplma<at>jabber.cz

Do not long for the night, when people vanish in their place.
Be careful, do not turn to evil; for you have preferred this to
affliction.
      -- Job 36:20f (NASB)