Re: Samsung ML-2510 printer purchase

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 01:57:02PM -0700, Thufir wrote:
> I'm looking at an ad at future shop for a Samsung ML-2510 laser
> printer for $99 canadian.  Is this a good price?  How is this printer
> under linux? It seems to be supported, so I'm likely to buy.  Good
> price?
>
> Do I have to use a printer cable, or can it connect with USB cable under
> linux?

Thufir:

(Hawat?)

I have no experience with that printer. Howver I can suggest another
similarly-priced printer that I do own and which works great for me.
I've got a Brother HL-2070N which is available for various prices,
at the moment I see New Egg has it for $139--others may have lower
prices, I haven't looked.

Brother provides Linux-compatible drivers for it, but with my Centos
4.5 system I didn't need to do ANYTHING except plug in the USB cable
and answer a few prompts that automatically popped up.

the HL-2070N comes with parallel, USB, and ethernet ports. If you don't
need the ethernet, the HL-2040 appears to be functionally equivalent
except for the lack of network. At Newegg, right now, it's about $27
less than the 2070N.

Ah. Even better,... I see that amazon has the HL-2070N for 99.99 USD
with free shipping. (that's where I got mine, but it was $133 at that
time.)

I don't work for Brother, I'm just a happy owner of one!

Whatever you decide to buy, be sure to visit the printing database at
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting before you plunk down
your money.

Fred

--