Re: Serial Ports

Karl Larsen wrote:

>    I compiled gMSSK which is a Ham Radio program that uses the sound
> card to transmit and receive written data and pictures from another
> station miles away using a radio.
>
>    It works fine but:
> crw-rw----  1 root uucp     4,   64 Jun 15 23:25 ttyS0
> crw-rw----  1 root uucp     4,   65 Jun 15 23:25 ttyS1
> crw-rw----  1 root uucp     4,   66 Jun 15 23:25 ttyS2
> crw-rw----  1 root uucp     4,   67 Jun 15 23:25 ttyS3
> drwxr-
>
> as you can see ttyS0 is owned by root and group uucp. I need to change
> this so a user can use this com 1 serial port. How do you do that?
>
> 73 Karl

You may want to take a look at console.perms - it can set
permissions on /dev/entries when someone logs in on the console, and
set them back when they log out. This works fine if you are only
going to have one person logged in at the console at a time. But it
does not help for ssh logins to the box.

If you just want to change the permissions for ttyS0, you may want
to create a rule for udev after 50-udev.rules that creats a symlink
to something like /dev/gmssk and set the permissions. The nice thing
about doing it that way is that if you change the port, you just
edit the udev rule, and the software still uses the same port.

The again, if you want to give access to all the serial ports, you
can just add the user(s) you want to have access to the uucp group.

Mikkel