Re: monitoring internet traffic

On 06/14/07 05:24:34, Bob Goodwin - W2BOD wrote:
Tim wrote:
On Wed, 2007-06-13 at 09:30 -0700, Geoffrey Leach wrote:

My Internet connection is via a satellite service that throttles the connection once I exceed a number of Mb. I'd like to monitor this so
as to avoid unpleasant surprises.

It might be worth seeing if there's a specific bandwidth meter for your
ISP.  My ISP has one for Windows that shows up in its system tray,
someone else made a Java applet that runs on everything that does the
same thing.  They're not the only ISP with tools like that.  It logs
into your account, and extracts some data periodically, and draws up a
little graph.

I don't know if this works with Hughes but someone provided this to me and it works perfectly with Wildblue's FAP data.

From my notes:
[snip]

The applet is a great idea. I've made a temporary fix with a script that extracts the data from /proc/net/dev, which at least gets the situation under control. My ISP (Hughes) does not acknowledge the existence of Linux, so I can forget about any help in that area. Even worse, the data that they provide is late by an hour or more, so if I exceed their limit, I'm back to modem speeds for a day before I know it.