Re: monitoring internet traffic

Geoffrey Leach wrote:
My Internet connection is via a satellite service that throttles the connection once I exceed a number of Mb. I'd like to monitor this so as to avoid unpleasant surprises. I think that what I need here is a specialized proxy. Can anyone point me to a proxy that either does such a thing or is sufficiently simple to be modifiable by a non-guru? Perl preferred, FWIW.

If you are looking to monitor daily usage and block out bandwidth hogs like advert sites, Squid along with daily SARG reports should achieve this. SARG rpms are not available for F7 or for FC6 but I have used the FC3 rpm on FC6 without any incident.

--
Regards,
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218