Re: Fedora Core 7 does not turn off my computer

Nigel Henry wrote:

Tony Nelson wrote:
E. Robert Tisdale wrote:
>Fedora Core 7 does not actually turn off my computer
>when I select shutdown.
>Fedora Core 4 and 5 would turn off my computer after the system halted.
>Can I get Fedora Core 7 to do this as well?

Normally, yes.  Check the dmesg log for errors detecting ACPI information
(or APM if you have a 7 year old computer),
as it is ACPI (APM) that does the actual power off.

Please find attached the relevant part of the dmesg log from my hp pavillion a730n desktop computer.

I also have an older (1998) desktop computer which reports:

   ACPI: Unable to locate RSDP
   ACPI: Interpreter disabled
   pnp: PnP ACPI: disabled
   PCI quirk: region 4000-403f claimed bu PIIX4 ACPI

Neither machine will poweroff automatically when it shuts down.

BTW, does the poweroff command also fail to turn off the computer?

poweroff also fails to turn off the computer.

This problem seems to be related to later kernels, and some hardware.
For example, FC5 on an afriend's machine, celeron 1.3Ghz.
The kernel that was installed originally from the cdrom install shuts down the machine ok,
but later kernels had a problem. After some posts to the list,
Tim suggested acpi=force , and this worked for me with FC5.

I't didn't work for me.

Aaron Konstam had similar problems with FC6, and for him lacpi worked.
And that is lacpi, not lapic appended to the kernel line in Grub.

There is clearly some problem in the way that kernels 2.6.17 and later are
handling shutdown on some hardware.

On my other machine, an old Gateway 500, using a P111 katmai,
FC5 has no problems shutting down completely no matter which kernel I bootup with.
I also have FC6 on this machine, and that shuts down completely as well.