Re: FC6 -> F7 upgrade stalls

Joachim Backes wrote:
Chris 'Chipper' Chiapusio wrote:
On Sat, Jun 09, 2007 at 07:15:30AM -0700, Lonni J Friedman wrote:
I'm attempting to upgrade a system from FC6 x86 to F7, and the upgrade
is stalling after installing a few packages every time.

Could see the same behaviour on a fast machine with a lot of memory.
At least when starting the package install, anaconda stalls for some minutes (it needs a lot of seconds for rather small packages).

Additionally, at the end of upgrade (before the reboot prompt), there is a long period with a flickering screen - unable to see what anaconda deals with.

When I switch to a virtual console, I see that anaconda is consuming
100% CPU, and in the upgrade.log the last few lines show assorted
packages with the error:
"Couldn't fork %post: Cannot allocate memory"

This system has 384MB of RAM, so its not starved by any means.  Any
one have ideas?

L. Friedman                                    netllama@xxxxxxxxx
LlamaLand                       http://netllama.linux-sxs.org

I experienced this as well and got past it by going to console two once the
install began and manually enabling swap.  In fact I created an extra
swapfile to ensure there was more than enough available.

Chip
Same problem here, although I gave up on the upgrade and went to a full install before I saw this thread. During the full install the installer said memory was low and that it was going to create more swap. I guess they forgot to add this same logic to the upgrade process.