Re: fglrx and Fedora 7 works!

Hi

On 6/10/07, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Afaik the older ATI drivers only work with older versions of Xorg so
> your solution does not work.

We're in the middle of a thread where the OP says that the currently
released flgrx drivers don't work with F7,

Correct

but that the older FC6
drivers *do* work with F7!

False

So unless you think the OP is a liar, how
does this "not work"?

You probably misunderstood what works and what does not work.
In short:

* older fglrx drivers don't work with any xorg-server ever released
for F7, both during
 the test period than now with the final release;
* newer fglrx drivers don't work with F7 xorg-server package, but work with some
 versions released during  F7 test period (and with FC6 ones).

Is it OK now? I'm not a native English speaker so please correct me if
I did not make myself clear.

Noone is claiming that the problem is Fedora's.  ATI needs to fix their
drivers.

Yes, that's their fault. The binary blob within fglrx simply crashes
with a pretty useless (for non-ATI employees) traceback.

Especially if the problem is related to the 2.6.22 kernel that
F7 ships with and the problem is not the fault of any RH patches/fixes
not taken from upstream.

Kernel versions don't matter for this issue. By the way, I don't use
Fedora kernel nor livna kernel module.

If that's the case, then repo's (like Livna,
which packages fglrx for F7) need to replace their packages with an
older version which *does* work with F7.

[ Hope I've already explained this ]

For more detailed analisys, please go to Phoronix forums (google is
your friend).

Just a side note: This is what my system runs:

[fcomolli@tycho ~]$ uname -a
Linux tycho 2.6.22-rc4 #1 SMP Fri Jun 8 20:28:36 CEST 2007 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux

[fcomolli@tycho ~]$ rpm -q xorg-x11-server-Xorg
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.2.0-6.fc7

[fcomolli@tycho download]$ rpm -qa|grep ATI
ATI-fglrx-control-center-8.37.6-1.f7
kernel-module-ATI-fglrx-2.6.22-rc4-8.37.6-1.f7
ATI-fglrx-8.37.6-1.f7
ATI-fglrx-devel-8.37.6-1.f7

--
Kevin J. Cummings