Re: Installing F7 by CD and not by DVD

Ed Greshko wrote:
Philip Walden wrote:

How would you do an upgrade from FC6 this way? I do not want to do a
clean install?

I generally do clean installs since they are...well...cleaner.

But, one thing that has worked for me in the past was to do something along
the lines of....

1.  Download the DVD.
2.  Mount the DVD iso on a loop device.
3.  Go to the directory containing all the RPMs
4.  Run "rpm -Fvh *rpm".

If you're downloding the iso onto the machine and you're going to update then you can do it the official way, rather than having to muck about in rpm.

1) Download the DVD iso
2) Download the rescue CD iso (only about 90Mb)
3) Burn the resuce ISO to a CD
4) Boot from the rescue CD and select install/update
5) Select the option to mount a local ISO
6) Point the installer at the DVD iso image on your hard drive
7) Continue through the normal update process

I did this on one system which only had a CD drive, and did nfs installs for several others (another option from the rescue CD). I was worried about the lack of a full CD set, but actually it's been a breeze.

Simon

[Having said all of this, it would have been nice to have the same update options on the live CD as there are on the rescue CD as I tried that first]