Re: Finally got around top putting F7 on my lappy & need a radio

On Sunday 03 June 2007, David G. Miller wrote:
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sunday 03 June 2007, David G. Miller wrote:
>> >Looks like something like system-config-network puts the value in the
>> >appropriate ifcfg script in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts:
>> >
>> >[dave@spindle network-scripts]# cat ifcfg-eth1
>> ># Broadcom Corporation BCM4306 802.11b/g Wireless LAN Controller
>> >DEVICE=eth1
>> >ONBOOT=no
>> >BOOTPROTO=dhcp
>> >HWADDR=00:90:4b:ac:8f:67
>> >PEERDNS=yes
>> >DHCP_HOSTNAME=spindle
>> >TYPE=Wireless
>> >USERCTL=yes
>> >IPV6INIT=no
>> >ESSID=pr3v3ct
>> >CHANNEL=11
>> >MODE=Auto # <== HERE
>> >RATE=Auto
>>
>> Both of the above options are an error here, getting me
>> Set Mode (8B06)
>> and
>> Set Bit Rate (8B20)
>>
>> and dhcp fails, with the radio then being turned off a few seconds after
>> the dhcp timeout.
>
>So?  Fire up vi and edit the appropriate /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
>file.

I've been going through those motions since friday.

>Set Mode to "Managed" and Rate to 11M (start conservative).  The
>values are passed to iwconfig through
>/etc/sysconfi/network-scripts/ifup-wireless.  If you need to check on
>exactly how to specify a particular value, check the man page for
>iwconfig.  Also, dhcp will fail if the link layer isn't established.  It
>failing is fallout; not a symptom.
>
>The default seems to be to turn the radio off if a connection can't be
>established.  Really irritating since there doesn't seem to be any way
>to turn it back on except a reboot for some hardware.

OR, rmmod the whole damned thing and modprobe it all again.  The problem is in
knowing which order to do it.  If you just remove bcm43xx_mac80211, I'm not
convinced all the links are restored correctly when its modprobed back in.
The xmit led will come on, but it will be off again by the time you can type
ifup wlan0 or service network restart.

I gave up and blacklisted bcm43xx_mac80211 & tried to install ndiswrapper,
following the instructions in its INSTALL file.  But to stop the system from
module directories in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/net/wireless so
the boot couldn't find them.  WTF is a blacklist for if not to prevent this?

Anyway, with all that crap unloaded, and ndiswrapper loaded, the radio led
comes on and stays on, till an ifup wlan0 is done.  When that is done, the
led under the screen hinge goes off instantly, and of course with the
transmitter off, its not going to connect.

I've beat myself to a pulp on this so if ANYONE with an HP dv5120us laptop has
actually made the bmc4318 radio in it work, please advise.  I even booted it
back to Xp and tried to connect there, but winderz shuts the radio off even
faster than linux.  The diff is, Xp can turn it on for the next try.
Usually...

kwifimanager's manual CLAIMS that if when a scan is done, and ALL the data is
filled in, you can connect by clicking the ghosted out connect button.

Only one problem, I have never, ever seen it fill in the MODE column in that
scan report window.  Even when bcm43xx was slowly, and intermittemntly,
talking to a wap11, but that puppy is about toast, I have to power it up 50
times to get it to work half-assed.  I may see if I can find a newer one
compatible with wap11gui.

Any suggestions for a replacement for an aging wap11 that I can administer
from linux?

My next stop tomorrow is the shop at circuit city, where I know they have a
wireless system, and their guys should be able to prove in 10 minutes time
that my radio is indeed kaput.  Or good.  I bought it there, and have the 3
year warranty.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)