Re: strange shutdowns with F7

On Sat June 2 2007, Claude Jones wrote:
> On Sat June 2 2007, Ric Moore wrote:
> > > I booted back into F7 - it was up
> > > and running and I went back to the this machine (I'm on a KVM) - a few
> > > minutes later, the F7 machine went dead - you know the sound a sort
> > > of 'klunk' and then silence. I wasn't on the machine either time.
> > > Anyone else seeing this?
> >
> > My machine, just after I bought it, did the same thing. I would suggest
> > that you have a weakening power supply and that the install process
> > pushed it over the edge. I'm assuming this isn't a laptop. Ric
>
> I don't think so, though I considered it. It's been up all day - I just got
> home from a shoot, running XP. As mentioned, I installed Scientific Linux
> on it just last week, and it ran for days after that. I'm going to boot
> back into F7 and see if I can catch what's going on

Did a lot of testing today, poked around the messages log, went through all
the services...as long as I was working on the machine, it ran perfectly. It
was up for over an hour.  I let it go idle and went to this machine. 10-15
minutes later, I heard the F7 box shut down. It'll stay up and running on
WinXP so, I think that rules out the power supply. I'm suspecting some power
management issue, but I couldn't find any anomalies. I cycled the power
settings in KDE Control Center on, reset all the settings, then turned them
all off, and then turned power management back off. Didn't help.

One thing I noted in logs is that Hyper-threading was turned off - is this
normal? This is a P4 2.8 GHz with 1 GB of ram - it's definitely
Hyper-threading capable - I guess I should check the BIOS and see if it's
turned off. Don't see how that would have anything to do with the machine
just shutting off - it doesn't shut down in orderly manner, by the way, it's
just up one moment, and the next off...

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA