Re: yum dosen't install eclipse

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 11:13:40AM -0400, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 22:36 +0530, Vikram Goyal wrote:
> > Thanks, that did it. But when jpackage became redundant was never
> > anonunced.
>
> That's because it's not redundant for a lot of people.  In general,
> though, we try to get as much rebuilt into Fedora with gcj bits as
> possible.
>
> Andrew

I have sun jdk installed. The repos configs I have carried out are since
fc1/2 ( can't remember). I used the same configs since it's quite an
exercise to properly set up yum with external repos and so forth. At
that time it was not possible to integrate sun jdk etc and install other
apps like eclipse etc without jpackage repo enabled.

I got stuck just now when I used eclipse and some functionalities didn't
work. Initially, I thought that some clash is occuring with tomacat, so
removed the whole of eclipse etc. and tried to reinstall it, at that
time I came across yum going through the whole loop but unable to
install eclipse.

My writing of all this is to point out that there is some discrepency in
yum or in the package naming where it is unable to install and give a
sporious message as I have attached in my first mail.

I personally think that it should have been mentioned somewhere that gcj
bits have been integrated to the point that jpackage in no longer a
requirement for basic java based apps and jre's installations and
integration in fedora.

Also the package naming scheme should have been such that even if left
enabled yum should select or prioritise fedora core/extra where ever
possible and not get confused to be unable to do the job, because
suppose I have to install some exotic app requiring jpackage and
enabling it now will break the other dependecies.

It's easy to disable jpackage but not possible to do the same with
core/extra repos when clashes occur.

Should I file a bug???
--
vikram...
--
Mal: "And try not to talk. Talking uses up air.  Ain't no need for it."
				--Episode #8, "Out of Gas"