Re: No eth1 wireless

On 14/05/07, David G. Miller <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I seem to have corrupted system-config-network while playing with
> firestarter. I've since gone back to the default Fedora firewall
> (system-config-securitylevel). I see two devices in the Devices tab:
> eth0 (Type: Ethernet), which is active, and eth1 (Type: Wireless),
> which is inactive. When I try to activate eth1, I get this
> inappropriate error:
> Determining IP information for eth1... failed; no link present.  Check cable?
>
> Why does it think that there should be a cable? Before rebooting I was
> getting this error:
> When I try to activate eth1 (wireless):
> Determining IP information for eth1...dhclient(4733) is already
> running - exiting.
> exiting.
>  failed.
>
> How can I start eth1? Note that SELinux is set to Permissive.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Dotan Cohen
The "check cable" message is just a carry-over from pre-wireless.  It
means that the wireless can't establish a link level connection.  With a
wired connection, this is equivalent to having a working cable in
place.  Thus, "check cable."

Alright.

Some things to try are:

Open up your access point (no encryption, authentication, ESSID is
broadcast, no MAC filtering) and see if you can connect.  Your security
exposure is fairly minimal if you only leave it open briefly.

It's not my access point, it's the university's. I have no control
over the router settings.

What gets reported if you do a "iwlist eth1 scan"?  If nothing then your
system isn't even talking to the radio.  If you get a list of APs, then
some higher level glitch like authentication is causing the problem.

[root@localhost ~]# iwlist eth1 scan
eth1      No scan results

However, there is something there:

[root@localhost ~]# iwconfig eth1
eth1      unassociated  ESSID:off/any  Nickname:"localhost.localdomain"
         Mode:Managed  Frequency=nan kHz  Access Point: Not-Associated
         Bit Rate=0 kb/s   Tx-Power:16 dBm
         Retry limit:15   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
         Encryption key:off
         Power Management:off
         Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

I get the "Determining IP information for eth1...dhclient(4733) is
already running..." message whenever I switch my laptop from wired to
wireless.  Just do a "kill 4733" (or whatever PID gets reported in the
error message) and try it again.

I didn't think of that. I'll try tomorrow at the university. Thanks.

Dotan Cohen

http://dotancohen.com/howto/command_line.php
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/600/abs.html