Re: Installing ATI drivers

Dotan Cohen writes:

Taking the hardware I have, is there a 'prefered' way to enable 3D so
that I can use Google Earth? (Radeon X1400) I'll gladly do as
recommended.

A "prefered" way is only possible when you have multiple alternative. Unfortunately, you don't, so there is no "prefered" way.

Or, as I'm reminded after watching the History Channel recently, this is the same "prefered" approach one would have in choosing the color of their brand new Ford Model T.

That's not ironic. That's the reason my next video card will be Intel.
Unless ATI starts providing hardware specs for FOSS drivers.

Been there, done that.  Not with ATI, that is, but I've been there.

Your best chance of getting help with ATI's drivers would be with whatever support mechanism ATI offers -- mailing lists, or web forums, or something along the lines. ATI's hardware is not that popular to start with, so you need to look wherever you'll find a higher-than-average concentration of people in the same boat that you are.