Re: Gnome KDE Xorg.conf

On 5/10/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 03:58 -0400, Franck Y wrote:
> I changed  /etc/initab
> to set the init default from 5 to 3.
>
> I tried to put i back and it don't load the graphical boot !

You mean that you went from 5 (graphical) to 3 (text), then back to 5?

I'm beginning to wonder if you removed Gnome while adding KDE, or if
you'd installed enough of KDE.  You might want to tell us what you did
with yum prior to this problem.

The switchdesk command can be used to set which desktop is to be used.
You can switch desktops without going through the GDM (or KDM, or XDM,
but GDM is the default graphical login screen).

In a text run level, the startx command can be used to start whatever
desktop is the default.

You can use the telinit command to change between run levels without
rebooting (e.g. telinit 5).

That should give you a few hints about which man files to check up on.

If you've messed up your own configuration files, you might try creating
a new user, and logging in as them.  If that works, you have to work out
how to repair your own account.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.