Re: disabling modules at boot time

On Wednesday 09 May 2007 20:29, Wade Hampton wrote:
> On my x86 Fedora Core 4 box, I am trying to disable the wct4xxp and
> zaptel drivers from starting at boot time and have removed them from
> the modprobe.conf and removed the zaptel file from modprobe.d, yet
> they STILL get loaded when I boot.  If I add "alias wct4xxp off" to
> the modprobe.conf file, I can't modprobe them later.  Also, I added
> them to the /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-compat and they are still
> loaded.
>
> How can I disable them (so I can manually load them if I want)?  Is
> there a hidden modprobe option?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Wade Hampton

How about putting a couple of lines in /etc/rc.d/rc.local. This way you can
remove the modules after they have been loaded, and gives you the option to
modprobe them later.

rmmod wct4xxp
rmmod zaptel

Depending on the modules you may have to use "modprobe -r" rather than
"rmmod".

Just a thought, and have found that rc.local has been usefull is solving a few
problems like yours.

Nigel.