Re: dhcp does not work with SiS SiS900 PCI Fast Ethernet (rev 91)

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear folks,
>
> I have a problem with a computer, but I have resolved
> it using rc.local startup script by assigning an ip
> address manually since the computer does not pick up
> dhcp.  It hangs for a long time, so I turned off the
> dhcp and put something like
>
> ifconfig eth0 10.154.19.XXX netmask 255.255.XXX.0
> route add default gateway 10.154.XX.X

If you are going to configure the interface with a static IP
address, why not do it using the network configuration tools, or by
editing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0? If you decide to
manually edit ifcfg-eth0, you can find the documentation in
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-<version>/sysconfig.txt.

Now, as far as fixing the real problem, we need more information
about your network. Do other computers on the network work using
DHCP? Is there a router or switch between the Linux system and the
DHCP server? Are you running a firewall on your Linux system, and if
so, is it configured to allow DHCP?

Mikkel