Re: Ideas for yum

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
Martin Marques wrote:
3) A policy of installation would be good to have, so befor installing a package you know where it comes from, and what installed package will be replaced in case of an upgrade.

Yum does list these information on yum list and yum update.

Not in yum update that I've ever seen; well, the repo is listed, but not the package being replaced.

For myself, I don't care so much about knowing what package is being replaced, but I often feel "in the dark" not knowing whether it's a major version upgrade, a minor version upgrade, a bugfix, a security patch... what is it?

Maybe I can just add, without seeming ungrateful--I'm very happy with yum overall, that at first I liked the volume of status output from yum, the ascii progress meters are sweet ;-). But I very quickly learned that most of the info provided was stuff I didn't need to know.

Now, I'd rather have less info about yum's operation and more info about the actual transaction.

<Joe