Re: Cannot choose Beryl as the windows manager

On 06/05/07, Scott van Looy <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On May 6 Dotan Cohen did spake thusly:

> On FC6, KDE, with the Radeon driver for my 256MB X1400 video card.
>
> When clicking on the Beryl icon, one is presented with the choice of
> window managers: Beryl, Metacity, or Kwin. I cannot select Beryl. When
> I do, the screen flickers as if it's starting, but then I get either
> Metacity or Kwin, whichever is set as the default. I do not know where
> to begin troubleshooting, and googling the problem has not found any
> other similar incidents. Where should I begin? Thanks.

As with any other gui software that's crashing/being unstable, run it from
a command line and see what errors it spits out. It's quite helpful :)

Thanks. This:
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".

led me to googling this:
[root@localhost ~]# glxinfo | grep direct
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
direct rendering: No
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
[root@localhost ~]#

So I see that I need to get direct rendering running. One page
suggested that if I have an Intel motherboard then I should add the
line "Option "UseInternalAGPGART" "no"" to xorg.conf, but I'm not sure
if I have an Intel motherboard (Dell E1505 laptop).

Interestingly, when I try to update kmod-fglrx yum wants to downgrade it:
Installing:
kmod-fglrx              i686       8.34.8-3.2.6.20_1.2944.fc6  livna
          246 k
Removing:
kmod-fglrx              i686       8.36.5-3.2.6.20_1.2944.fc6
installed         763 k

How would you suggest I proceed? Thanks in advance.

Dotan Cohen

http://essentialinux.com/packages.php
http://what-is-what.com/what_is/activex.html