Re: what on earth is blkid doing?

On 03/05/07, Tom Horsley wrote:
Over in the discussion about disk labeling, the blkid tool was
mentioned. I ran it (no args), and it showed the label on
all my partitions, including the /dev/dvd device, which doesn't
have a DVD in it. The label it showed me was the last DVD I did
have in it a few days ago, and I've rebooted several times since
then. Where the heck is this coming from? Does the DVD drive
itself store that?

man blkid   ->   /etc/blkid/blkid.tab

sound very much like what you are in search of.