Re: Redefining udev permissions on a given device (/dev/isdninfo)

Mikkel L. Ellertson schrieb:
Dumb question - are you rebooting after making the changes?

yes.

One other thing to check is to see if there is a file in
/etc/security/console.perms.d controlling permissions. I don't run
ISDN so I am not sure if the software adds a file with its rules
like the vdr package does.

No references to isdn in console.perms.d either but your suggestion was helpful nevertheless: I created 60-isdninfo.perms which has the appropriate definitions.

[root@ws2 fs]# cat /etc/security/console.perms.d/60-isdninfo.perms
<isdn>=/dev/isdninfo

<console>  0660 <isdn>       0660 root.dialout

This solves at least 3/4 of my problem as I can now access /dev/isdninfo as a local user.

Unfortunately, there are two problems left:
1. Obviously, this does not work when using a remote (X) login. Therefore a general solution with udev is still needed. 2. After logging in, the ownership on /dev/isdninfo is <user>.root instead of root.dialout. Why?

Thanks for your help so far :-) I don't think it is anything special for isdn, just general udev/permissions.

fs