VMWare will not start, even after vmware-config.pl

Just today I have been unable to start my VMWare Workstation 1.0.2. I
have not updated the system, and I ran vmware-config.pl anyway, but
alas it will not start. When I click the VMWare menu item, the system
slows to a half and then locks up, requiring four seconds on the power
button to shut the system down. CTRL-ALT-BKSP does not kill the X
server, theres nothing I can do. Note that the VMWare service starts
fine at bootup.

What should I start troubeshooting?

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/587/9_days.html