Re: General Linux?

Ian Malone wrote:

Is it possible to ssh to my computer, start a command line program, exit ssh and then come back later and ssh to the same command line program? How would I do that exactly?

man screen

Well, I've got another hitch, I'm using PuTTY for an ssh client from my WinXP box. <CTRL-ALT-F?> just rings the bell and prints [1?~. Will it work with PuTTY or only with a Linux version of ssh?

What you want is 'Ctl-a d' to detach then 'screen -r' to
reattach.  (And possibly 'screen -l' to get a list of IDs
if there's more than one.)  It can do much cleverer things,
but I've usually found that's enough and I have used it with
PuTTY.

You could always tunnel VNC over SSH of course, but that
may be a bit heavy duty depending on your purposes.  It's
certainly more bandwidth hungry.

Freenx and the free cross-platform NX client is the way to go for remote access to a GUI desktop - although the X vnc module can be handy if the desktop you want is the one already running on your console.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx