Re: Dept of Utterly Useless Error Messages

On 30Apr2007 16:27, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Somewhere I have a screen grab of a useless pop-up error message on
| Linux.  There's a box with an alert icon and an okay button.  But
| there's no clue as to what program generated the error, nor what the
| error is.  The only text it has is the okay button.

I salute this one, but recently had one nearly as good, and far more
annoying.

I've been hacking some Wiki extensions at work that load project information
on-the-fly into pages from the project/user database we have, so you can say
things like:
  <sysdb>members:foo</sysdb>
and have it fill stuff in - in this way the page doesn't need maintenance
over time.

The extension inserts javascript that modifies the page in place. Worked
fine on Firefox but aborted the page load on IE. Under IE6 it gave a
popup that said "cannot load page", and no further detail. The page
would be truncated where the error occurred. Unhelpful, but at least you
could see where it was failing.

During the debugging someone "upgraded" IE from 6 to 7 on the box I was
testing with. The improved version still aborts the page load, still
produces the dinky "cannot load page" with no further detail, but as
soon as you click OK it _replaced_ the page with some inane "help"
page. It suggested I check that I was still connected to the internet
and other equally bogus ideas.

So under IE6 you got a useless error message. Under IE7 you get the same
useless message, and then it takes away the thing you were working on!

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/